Vietnam

I’m very excited to be returning to Vietnam this summer to conduct not one but two research projects funded by the Charles Center. It’s been three years since my first trip to Vietnam, and I expect this one will be much different, especially because I’ll be traveling on my own for most of the trip.

My first project will be studying the cultural impacts of HIV/AIDS in Ho Chi Minh City. I will spend six weeks volunteering full-time at the Xom Moi Medical Clinic in Saigon. While there, I will observe the patients, doctors, and their families to see how they perceive and deal with HIV/AIDS on a day to day basis.

For my second project, I will be undergoing a very personal journey to understand exactly how a half-Vietnamese, Caucasian looking college student is perceived by the Vietnamese. Some of the things I will do to immerse myself in the culture include buying a motorcycle for travel around the city, staying with my Vietnamese family when not at the clinic, and comparing how I am treated versus other Western visitors. The results of this study should be both interesting and unexpected.

That’s it for now. I bought by plane tickets last week. I leave June 11!!!

I don't look much like dad, except for the fact that we're both good looking