It’s Art, Jim, But Not as We Know It

One last note, and then I promise not to write any more until my arrival in Quito:

Why is this summer project such a BIG DEAL? Because Latin American art has been almost completely bypassed by art historians until very recently, meaning that my work alongside Professor Webster literally brings new meaning to the phrase, “Boldly going where no [art historian] has gone before.” But you don’t have to take my word for it: http://www.artnews.com/issues/article.asp?art_id=2895&current=True has the full explanation. To quote one of the consulted art historians, “You can just sink your teeth into practically any subject you like [within the field of Latin American art], and you’re going to make a major contribution.”

How AWESOME is that? Beam me down, Scotty! 

1. Dad & Mom says:

Hey Kate!

Just checking in. Hope your enjoying Quito!
    later,
    Dad & Mom

2. ekcarey says:

Kate!

I hope everything in Quito is going well! It’s amazing that you’re there. Anyway, I was wondering why Latin American art is such uncharted territory and found that the article you posted says this is partly out of “race and class prejudice.” Have you ever felt you’ve come across any of these sentiments while studying Latin American art, or do you find that if this was the case that heart’s are turning and many people now seem receptive?