My BIG mistake

Okay, so research has been going great.  The real-time has been working and my data was coming out beautifully and I was soon going to have finished processing all of my samples…unfortunately, as I’ve experienced many times before, things in science don’t always work out the way we want them to (or think they are).  So, today, I decided to start off my Monday early by coming into lab and setting up a run before my usual lab hours.  As I was setting up, I realized that for the last two months (the entirety of the summer) I have been running my Pax runs with the wrong primer sets (we designed new ones and for some reason I was still using the old ones).  And even though with a cursory glance it looks like my runs were working, when I really started to examine my data, I could see the problem with the primers for full length.  Thus, I have spent today worrying and considering myself an idiot for making such a huge mistake.  After looking at my run (using the proper primers) I realize that everything happens for a reason.  It turns out that the old primers are picking up my isoform much better than the new primers do.  Thus, those runs that I have been doing all summer may not be useless after all.  I am hoping that I will be able to use the CTs for the isoform from the old run and simply repeat the full length runs using the new primers (which are much more efficient). 

[Read more…]