Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Let’s start with the bad news.

Bad news-

An intergral part of the microcosms is the process of enumerating the amount of viruses in a sample. This process of enumeration is completed via the use of epiflourescence microscopy. Pictures are taken using a program and then the pictures are counted for virus-like particles. Here comes the bad news, the program which is used to take and save the pictures of the samples is not working properly for me. sadface. The program is actually not saving my pictures which makes enumeration impossible. You can not count something when it does not exist, or in this case save. One possible solution would be to take the pictures and immediately enumerate them. Another possible solution would be to label the pictures in a specific way so they do not cause problems with saving with this program. The correct solution is to be determined in the future.

Good news-

The good news is that I have found the best method for completing epiflourescence microscopy with the microcosms. This past weekend, I arranged an experiment concerning the use of DNase and certain control with the newly collected/autoclaved soil. It was found that the use of DNase with a water control of the new soil yielded the best results. Compared to a microcosm sample treated without DNase, the DNase treated sample yielded little to no virus-like flourescence. As to why previous microcosm samples treated with DNase did not yield similar results, I have no idea. However, this means that I can start the T4 microcosms again. happyface. (yay for good news!)