Research in July

Blog Post 3      (July)

July has almost come and gone and I am thrilled about the path my research has been taking. For a full week I worked as a teaching assistant for Dr. Anne Charity-Hudley, Assistant Professor of English, and Professor of Community Studies at The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, and Dr. Christine Mallinson, Assistant Professor in the Language, Literacy & Culture Program at University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

Throughout this course, I examined some of the major differences in the speech and writing of students who are who are speakers of Southern English and/or African-American English and students who are new learners of English.  Through this workshop, I spoke with teachers on how language variation research plays a huge role in a teacher’s discipline tactics. Many teachers expressed how students who speak differently are subconsciously disciplined differently. The general consensus of the teachers I spoke with concurred that the tools needed to recognize language variation, are in fact similar to understanding how to discipline a child.

It was remarkable to have the opportunity to relate the theories I have been reading with other disciplines such as language variation as well as hear what other teachers’ discipline tactics were. I have also been tutoring at a summer enrichment program in a W-JCC middle school, which has been a rewarding experience. Through this program I have learned that there is a difference in the way teachers discipline in a summer academic setting versus a full year one. I have started to narrow down my topic a bit more. It will be released very soon, so stay tuned!

1. Brittney! This research sounds so interesting. I love language and have recently been intrigued by the forces that propel individuals to use words differently. I can’t wait to see what you find!