In Urumqi

This is going to be a quick post because my internet access is very limited in Urumqi, capital of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region,  the westernmost region  of the PRC. I have been interacting with people from all over the world since I arrived here two nights ago, and it does not feel like I am in China.

One of my favorite things about Xinjiang thus far is how refreshing the morning breeze is. The wind power reserves here are some of the richest on the planet, and the China’s largest wind farm is just kilometers outside the city, located at Dabanchang. While Urumqi is a modern metropolis– It is full of bank offices, has a developed power grid, and has comprehensive public transportation ifrastructure, most of Xinjiang stands in stark contrast to Urumqi. Wind reserves are strong throughout the vast region but infrastructre is not. Over the next few days I am excited to see less developed regions and use the concepts and information I developed over the summer to approach various issues with wind power development here.

1. Lucky you to go there!!! I was thinking about paying Xinjiang a visit back when I was in China to study abroad in the fall of 09, but could not fit it into my schedule…

Did you try the roasted whole lamb? Supposed to be ambrosial.