Inter-Library Loan and Latin: 2 Things I Love

Right now, I am enjoying “Latin for the 21st Century”, a collection of articles about teaching Latin at all levels in this new century. Swem didn’t have a copy, so I used Inter-Library Loan and they were able to get me a copy from South Carolina. Unfortunately, you can’t renew such books so I only have a limited time to extract everything I need from it.  And there is a lot. Although I am only focusing on Latin at the college level, there are several articles about movements in elementary, middle, and high school. The 1960s and 70s were dark times for Latin, but since then it has been on the rise in what some call “the Great Counter-Offensive” (I am unimpressed by this name). This renaissance had roots in the grade school and middle school classrooms. Even today, articles about Latin making a comeback detail some 7th grade class dressed in togas. I don’t know how I feel about that, because that’s not “Latin” as much as an appreciation for the Classical World. Kids in togas are cute. But if the article began with an AP class working through “nuggets” of Horace, I would think the average reader would say to himself “I wonder if they ever wear togas to class. Let me check out the Business section now.” Latin language and Latin culture are distinct. One has never been in trouble. Anyway, the book is a big break-through because most of what I have is on early 1900s stuff when I need a century later.

Also, here’s a little research tip: Last week I finished creating a log in excel to keep track of all the articles and book chapters I am been shifting through. I created “tags” for each article to help me come back to certain opinions and topics when I need then later on while writing. If one article references another, I note that as well, in addition to whether or not the first article was agreeing or disagreeing with the second.

1. That sounds like an excellent trick to keep track of all your sources! And I’m rather curious about this new Latin Counter-Offensive- what exactly does it entail? Are they teaching Latin differently to kids, or is it just the same old ideas with new window dressing?