August and the USA

AUGUST 20th 2010

I am home now.  Back in the states.  The pace is about a million times faster and a watch is once again a necessity.  Everything is strange and weird, but I hear that fades.  For over seven months Morocco has been my home.  I have friends and family there.  I researched there, I slept there, I ate there, I fell in love there.  Transitioning back to my other home will take some time, but hopefully this too will help my research.  I am starting to think that everything helps your research.  People, field experiences, education, and I might say most importantly life experiences.

I am taking a little step back from my research.  About a week or so.  I wonder if this is a mistake because I do not want to forget anything.  But I think a little time away will allow me to gain some perspective.  Which is always good.

My last few weeks in the field in Morocco were spent with family and friends and lots of transcription.  Also we tried to get back into some Casablanca NGOs but they were closing for the summer…. Which I find strange?  Women don’t get pregnant in the summer??  I am still confused and will investigate further.  They were also the two hardest to gain access to single mothers.  But I did go to Solidarite Feminine in Casablanca twice which did give me a lot of information if not access to women.  I am very grateful to everyone at the NGOs, my friends, family, and especially Zakaria.   My research simply would not have been possible without these wonderful people.

And I am optimistic for my research in the United States.  In terms of literature, well, I’ll be honest I missed Swem library so much.  I also keep in contact with my friend in Morocco and know if I need anything they will be there in a heartbeat.

I am increasingly and increasingly grateful to my funding for this research.  I have always appreciated this opportunity and have often felt like one of the luckiest people in the world, but I have spent ten weeks in the field and I feel like there is so much left to do.  I have no idea how I would be able to complete this research without the time given to me before.  So thank you everyone who was a part of me gaining this funding.  My research so far definitely would not have been possible without you.

I am still thinking of ways to give back to this community.  To help be a part of this change.  I would love some feedback on this if you have any ideas.  No idea is too small because I’ve found it is often the small or even impossible ideas that lead to really great ones.

I have throughout these months of when I would start putting more information about the circumstances surrounding single mothers and I will soon, but I feel like I need to do a little more synthesis and processing before I put more information on this blog.  This will come with time.  Perhaps now that I have reliable internet and it will no longer feel like I am having a conversation with my laptop (as if it would need to know about field experience) this space will become more of a place to discuss, process, formulate, and refine ideas.  Or at least a place to explore them in words.

Either way, I am excited for the next steps in the process of developing and writing my honors thesis.  My experiences so far have been truly unique and wonderful, but also a time of great growth and challenge.  Here is to continuing this journey.  Swem, its time we got to know eachother again.