In Transit

Hello,

I still have about 6 days to finish my research trip in Western China. While staying in Urumqi, I took a bus route through a few outlying cities north of Urumqi and was able to see firsthand the conditions in which companies try to supply power grid access to renewable energy projects. Being out here has only made me more interested in pursuing my topic and writing a┬ápaper on the challenges of wind power development in China’s regions where wind energy potential is the greatest, not only in China but arguably anywhere in the world.

Admittedly, I am very excited to continue studying Chinese in Beijing, and my research will be put on hold for about a year while I am in Beijing. However, over the next week I am going to cover about 1400 miles on the ground as I work my way from Urumqi to Xining, the major city in Qinghai Province. This stretch should be very fascinating, and I am going to be looking specifically for infrastructure development and power grid access along the route, which has persistently strong winds and is mainly desert. I should arrive in Dunhuang around 24 hours from now. Until I return to Beijing, these posts are going to be somewhat short and choppy. I have limited internet access and also want to spend as much time as I can not looking at a computer– I am not sure when the next time I will get to come out here will be.

Austin