The beginning of the end

Updates from my last post:

As most researchers I think would agree, it becomes decidedly difficult to continue research from home. Without that favorite spot in Swem and an iced coffee for fuel, my productivity wasn’t exactly through the roof.

Diplomatically speaking, Venezuela and Colombia are once again in each other’s good graces. Only 3 days after Colombia’s new president (Juan Manuel Santos) took office, diplomatic relations were formally mended and Chavez assured that FARC rebels would not be tolerated on Venezuelan soil.

Amazon books has, unfortunately, let me down. A text that was right-on topic disappeared somewhere en route from a Latin American seller… this is going to be a fun one to resolve.

As I wrote the above sentences, I caught myself thinking that none were very positive.  Of course, however, mended relations between Colombia and Venezuela are an excellent development! Because to me these are still entities on paper (or, rather, in computer documents) it’s too easy to cross my fingers and hope that something goes awry for the sake of a sensational research paper. ETA publishes a statement that they and the FARC are collaborating right within Caracas?! Golden, right? No, of course not.  For Colombia and Venezuela to cooperate and stop the FARC’s influence (or their ability to interact with other international groups such as ETA) is an ideal scenario for the people of these states, which is  the ultimate goal.

I never set out, with this research, to say for certain what the Chavez’ government’s association with FARC and ETA is. I realized from the start that this is an impossibiliy even for those with far more connections and available information than me.  I was seeking to become an ‘expert’, in  away, in the relations between the entities involved and be able to present this information . I do believe I was successful with this… and now, the academic year awaits!