Digging Up an Irish Island!

Hello, hello, hello!

My name is Chelsea Ryan and I am an Anthropology Major (Archaeology Concentration) at W&M and member of the Class of 2014. I blog this because I was ever so fortunate and lucky to be selected as a Kraemer Scholar for Summer 2012! I will put this scholarship toward for my six-week program at the Achill Archaeological Field School on Achill Island, County Mayo, Ireland.

Through the program, I will complete three courses: Introduction to the Archaeology of Ireland, Archaeological Field Studies, and Data Analysis. The first covers the basic techniques of archaeological excavation, the second course instructs students on “site recording of archaeological features and deposits” and the final course connects the data recovered from the excavation and restoration to the archaeological site’s relationship with the landscape. Lectures and workshops accompany all three courses, and I am required to write an individual paper on Irish Archaeology, with guidance from the Director of Fieldwork.

Additionally, the site I work on will date to pre-historic times or the 18th and 19th centuries. Either would make me happy, but I am developing an interest in Medieval and Renaissance studies, which could benefit from working on the latter site.

I cannot accurately convey my excited emotions as the trip draws nearer and my gratitude for the scholarship (this isn’t tumblr!), but I hope that when the program begins I will be able to capture my new feelings and experiences concerning archaeology.  I have wanted to visit Ireland for what seems like forever, and now that I have the opportunity to do so, while simultaneously participating in my first field school, Summer 2012 may become one my favorite summers. It certainly looks promising, anyway!

Until next time,

Chelsea

*For more information on my program, check out Achill’s website here!