A Summer with Amrita

Good afternoon supporters of W&M research, and welcome to the blog of a burgeoning art historian.  As I approach graduate school, and move away from the forgiving embrace of college life, independent research projects like this one are extremely important for practice purposes.

I’m particularly excited about this summer’s research project. I will be doing independent reading in Williamsburg, and then I will be going to India for a month!! Hopefully I’ll get a good look at some of Amrita Sher-Gil’s works in the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.

All of this will be to frame my study of Sher-Gil in relation to European Modernism. I see connections both visually and historically that indicate this project will be fascinating (though it will require all of my time and energy). I hope to produce a scholarly article by the end of the summer for potential publication. This research will also go towards my senior honors thesis.

Well I hope I’ve given you a short but succinct introduction! Comment if you have questions!

-MSR