Coal Fired Power

Hello World! My name is Daniel Casey and I am a sophomore (I’ll make my transition to rising junior in about two weeks… exams are fun) here at the grand ole College of William and Mary. I am a government and sociology double major. Within these two disciplines, I have a particular interest in inequalities (be they political, social, environmental etc.) and how resistance forms (or doesn’t form) in response to inequality– an interest that will be fitting nicely with my summer research.

For this particular project, I will be working with Professor Kaup. I am very pleased, excited and honored by the prospect of doing research with Professor Kaup. I imagine it will be a fantastic learning experience and I am truly looking forward to it.

Now for the abstract/topic/subject of the project I will be working on… cheerfully titled- The Construction of Coal Fired Power Plants in 21st Century:

In the United States, coal is king. Since the Industrial Revolution, coal has fueled the growth and development of the country. To many, the living legacy of coal is grand—it is one of productivity, patriotism, profits, and progress. Coal is the “homegrown” source of energy, whose supplies and energy potential are unmatched by any other discovered energy source. Despite these positives, coal has a dark side. Coal-based energy production has been linked to a variety of personal health problems, particularly respiratory and neurological issues. Furthermore, coal-based energy production has been identified as a major contributor to acid rain, smog and global climate change. Given these negatives, it is no surprise that when faced with the possible construction of a coal-fired plant, targeted communities often rise up and seek to derail the project. However, not all projects are delayed or canceled; some projects continue as planned. Therefore, the question becomes: what do the communities that successfully fight back against the construction of coal-fired plants look like? What are their characteristics? What allows them to prevail?

And so ends the abstract. I welcome any and all comments, questions, and/or thoughts.

Cheers!

Daniel