Does Anyone Know How to Use ‘R’?

It is already July! I find it hard to believe that we are halfway done with the summer research session, however I am super pleased with the progress I have made so far. I have finished collecting data of Rhodamine B, understand the MATLAB analysis and coding, and have applied this analysis to the data. I am now trying to finish up collecting data on Rhodamine 6 G, a dye of similar structure to Rhodamine that we are testing for comparison. As for additional analysis and coding, I have quite a challenge ahead of me.

MATLAB gives an analysis of the power law fit function to the data. During this analysis, some of the data that most likely does not fit the power law is left out, which has been observed to be almost half of the data. We are now interested in exploring other fit functions, such as a log-normal or Weibull function, to fit to the data that is left out. We downloaded the MATLAB code from a paper written by Aaron Clauset, and in the same paper there are codes for exploring other fit functions, but it is with a different program called ‘R’. In other words, I must start from scratch in understanding how the coding works for a different program. While I had much help from my professor who understands MATLAB very well, neither of us even know how to start using the R program.  I have been able to figure out the basic commands and how to use some of the Clauset codes to find the fit parameters of a Weibull or log-normal fit to my data. Unfortunately, knowing the fit parameters does not tell us how well they fit to the data, which is what we are currently most interested in. One of the Clauset codes directly compares fit functions to each other and determines which one of the two fits the best. This would be useful in comparing the power law fit to other functions. Unfortunately I have been running into problems while trying to use this code and need to continue researching on how the R program works. Once I have learned to use the fit comparison code, I will be able to do a complete analysis of the data: finding a power law fit to the data that best works with a power law fit, finding fits for the data that does not fit the power, and fitting the data as a whole.

If anyone is familiar with using the R program please let me know! Also, Happy 4th of July to everyone this week!