Halfway Point

Okay, so the summer session is technically more than halfway over, but on Friday my lab had our halfway-done meeting.  We all prepared a power point to summarize our projects and the data we had collected so far this summer, and then gave a presentation to the lab.  It provided the perfect opportunity to stop and think about what I had accomplished so far this summer and what I had left to do.

What I realized is that science is slow.  It takes a long time to run an experiment and then analyze the data.  But I am satisfied with what I’ve gotten done so far–though I realize that I still have a lot of work left to do.

The meeting also was great practice for presenting my research.  Dr. Wawersik gave us a ton of feedback on what we were doing well and what we still needed to work on.  I usually dread public speaking, but hopefully having practice speaking about my project will make me more comfortable for future presentations.

1. jewoods says:

I feel that science is slow as well, although I think that it’s a result of having to learn the background of your research before you can begin, at least in my case (a necessary obstacle). Also, do you have any tips on how to become a better public speaker? My voice tends to shake and sometimes my hands shake when I have to speak in front of an audience. Is experience the only cure?