Exciting New Frontier

This previous week of lab work has been exciting because I have moved on to a new portion of my project. I ran PCR on a bacterial population in order to make several copies of my gene of interest (arsS). The PCR product was then used to perform a cloning reaction, which essentially placed the amplified arsS genes into plasmids, which are independent circular strands of DNA. These plasmids were then introduced to E. coli cells in a transformation procedure that caused the E. coli cells to incorporate the plasmids into their cytoplasm. As of now, I am growing these E. coli cells on Agar plates and will pluck the colonies once they have grown large enough. These procedures are exciting because I am one step closer to being able to perform tests for the mutation rate of the poly-C region in E. coli so that I can compare it to the mutation rate of H. pylori.

1. semarcellin says:

I have to say, I know nothing about science…. but it is amazing how easy you make it to understand what is going on in your research. A lay person, like me, would have no trouble following and supporting your research (and whatever your findings are). That’s a great skill! I can’t wait to hear more about your experiments in the Fall. Assuming I can understand it all when it’s not condensed into a blog format.

2. Thank you for those kind words. I have presented my project in lab meetings throughout the school year and my research professor has always emphasized presenting the project in a manner that would allow educated people outside of the sciences to be able to comprehend what is going on. Thus I thank my professor for this ability. Also, Im sorry I did not see your comment way back in the summer.