Nearing the End

During the previous week, I picked transformed E. coli colonies that were mentioned in the previous blog post. I put these colonies into media and incubated them at a temperature that would allow them to grow at optimal reproductive capacity. After approximately 24 hours of growth, I created a pellet of the cells in a centrifuge and performed a plasmid preparation procedure on the pellet. This procedure resulted in purified plasmids, on which I then performed a restriction digestion. After this I performed gel electrophoresis on the restriction digestion in order to see if the reaction worked and found out that it did. In the following day, I extracted this restriction product from the gel, and executed a procedure on it in order to purify the DNA in the product. In the future (most likely the beginning of fall semester) I will do procedures to incorporate this purified DNA product into a viral genome that will be used to infect E. coli cells in a process called transduction. During transduction, a viral vector will incorporate it’s genome, that includes the hyper mutable region of interest, into E. coli cells. Once this is done, I will begin performing the same mutation rate procedures done on H. pylori on these E. coli cells.

Make Your Own Oil Paint!

Hi Everyone,

The end goal of my summer research was to prepare a comprehensive library of SERS spectra for the many possible plant sources of organic yellow dyes and pigments.  Once I tested the water soluble, cooperative dyes and extracted the insoluble pigments, the next step was to test oil paints.  As the pigments and dyes would be found on a painting mixed with an oil binder, the best simulation of an art sample would be to take SERS spectra of oil paints made from the yellows I have been testing.

[Read more…]