Pillars of Propaganda Re-defined

As is often the case with research, upon actually beginning an in-depth study, I found that the information I was uncovering led me in a slightly different direction from the one I initially intended. The initial intent of my research, as presented in my abstract, was to explore the role of propaganda in religious architecture during Republican Rome. As my research progressed, most of the more interesting items of propaganda were–unsurprisingly–dedicated by Republican generals. Although the temples were still interesting and I believe there would have been much there, I decided that the opportunity for more original research lay with these generals. As a result, I tweaked my research to focus on dedications made by Roman generals; specifically, on military dedications (that is, dedications they made in connection to particular military campaigns). As is usual, the best way to draw conclusions concerning specifics of what these dedications represented to the socio-political climate of Rome was to draw comparisons. Although most often people tend to compare Republican Rome to the Imperial Principate, I decided not to make a chronological comparison. Instead, I chose to compare dedications made at home to those made abroad, specifically to those made in Greece. I also chose to limit the time period to the periods between the Second Macedonian War and the Achaean War, when there is a particularly rich pool of evidence to draw from in regards to military dedications in both Rome and Greece.

Over my next few posts, I will go into some of the major points my research uncovered, before eventually presenting the entirety of my research, which was organized into a substantial paper.