Future Shock

It’s been about two weeks since I have left Ireland, add a few more days and it has been almost three weeks since I left Achill Island. I haven’t had any huge culture shock, but I do greatly miss my field school. When you wake up to a house of fourteen other college students and travel to an archaeological excavation site at precisely 8:45AM for six weeks, it’s strange to find yourself getting out of bed into a quiet apartment without a mountain climb awaiting you. Results from the excavation site have not been released to my group of students yet, but the Facebook group said they will post them soon.

I learned much and more than I expected at Achill Field School. Without a doubt, I want to continuing pursuing archaeology, perhaps by attending a grad school in Ireland for landscape archaeology. I have a lot of research and preparation ahead of me before I make a solid decision, but I would love to return to Ireland for more than six weeks.  From the field school and my paper research, I really think Medieval Archaeology might be the road for me. This summer has been fantastic and an eye-opener.  But I would be remiss if I said I didn’t miss my family and friends back in the States! I’m sure they can help me on my archaeological road as well.

I’m unbelievably grateful for the chance to attend Achill Archaeological Field School this summer and it would not have been possible without my Kraemer Scholarship and the Charles Center’s help.