21 Mysteries

Hello all!

Here goes my final blog post for the summer…

In order to select for reporter activity, I identified colonies that were growing on the quadruple selective plates (- TRP-URA-HIS-ADE). After performing the yeast two-hybrid screen, I had a total of 21 blue colonies on all of the plates! Each blue colony represents a protein that interacts with E6-AP. I have been home in California and away from lab, so I have not yet extracted these proteins and then sequenced them in or der to find out what they are. I cannot wait to head back to lab in a few days to discover what these proteins are! Hopefully I will find new protein interactions with E6-AP.

After this summer, I would like to test if any identified substrate can be ubiquitylated in vivo and in vitro. Since I have two more years at William and Mary and in Dr. Kerscher’s lab, I will have ample time to do this test and to do further research on this topic. Ultimately, I hope to publish my results in a peer review journal.

This work is extremely exciting because I have the potential to find novel substrates that interact with the E3 ligase, E6-AP. The novel substrates will be proteins that are not being degraded in people who have Angelman Syndrome and therefore they have an excess of these proteins. By discovering the protein targets of E6-AP, I will potentially be able to uncover new information for the role of E3A in nervous system cells. Through my research project I have grown as a young scientist by expanding my skills and knowledge. I also have a much better grasp on the biology behind my sister’s genetic condition.