Promoting the Utilization of Geocoded Aid Information at Kathmandu University

Hi everyone! My name is Carleigh Snead, and I am a rising junior and International Relations major at the College of William & Mary. For the past year, I have been interning at AidData, learning the methodology and technical skills behind geospatial data analysis. AidData seeks to improve the transparency of the foreign aid process by both increasing the availability of information about development projects and promoting the use of data visualization tools to glean meaningful information from such large datasets.

During a five-year partnership with USAID through the Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN), the AidData Center for Development Policy will place 50 Summer Aid Management Fellows in 15 partner countries to help stakeholder organizations develop the tools to better utilize geospatial aid information in their decisionmaking process. In the program’s inaugural summer, I will be traveling to Kathmandu, Nepal with three other fellows to engage the community of Kathmandu University in a series of activities designed to promote awareness of and facility with geospatial analysis tools and the process of geocoding to create new, workable data.

Potential activities include a mapping competition, much like the AidData Map-Off I participated in this semester. The mapping component of AidData’s mission is crucial in providing an effective means of putting development aid information into the hands of policymakers wishing to make empirically founded decisions. I’ve already learned so much about geocoding methodology and the power of data visualization in my work with AidData, and I am eager to continue my own growth while sharing my skills with the faculty, students, and staff of Kathmandu University this summer.

1. What do you think looking back at the pre-travel thoughts? How does what you learned compare with what you thought you would learn?