TRAPped: The History on and Effects of Reproductive Health Legislation in Virginia

Hi, everyone! My name is Lillian Singer, and as of this blog post, I am a rising junior at William & Mary. I am a public health major and music minor, and I hope that through this blog, I am able to document research that is just as much a hybrid of my interests as my academic pursuits are.

My research goals for this summer are three-fold: I will be studying the history of legislation surrounding abortion access in Virginia, spanning from 1973 (the year of Roe v. Wade) to 2013; what new legislation has just been passed or is on the docket; and what effect these laws are ┬áhaving on clinics, abortion care providers, and policymakers’ ability to do their jobs. This last element of my research will be done via interviews and statistical analysis, the results of which I will post here as often as possible.

I have titled this first blog post TRAPped, as the current laws going into effect on abortion access in VA are called TRAP laws: Targeted Regulations of Abortion Providers. These laws are broad in scope, but restrictive in practice, and have changed the landscape of reproductive health care in this country in innumerable ways. I hope I am able to capture the perspective of as many sides of this controversial topic as possible, as I know every story has many narratives. I look forward to keeping you updated on my progress and sharing my discoveries, challenges, and small victories with you this summer.

1. Dylan Kolhoff says:

Great topic! This is a topic that could really use some illumination in the public eye. I am curious though, what your end product is. After the research is done, what do you think you will do with it? Good luck in your research!