The Final Rainy Days

In the final days of our stay in Nicaragua, the rainy season arrived. A few days before our departure we began taking detours to avoid road construction. Now I understand what all the construction was for! On the last Sunday, we hiked around the community with no luck in finding any women to interview for the sub-study. Fortunately, we were able to pilot the much larger interview protocol on a male participant.  The air was sticky and hot and after an attempt at finding health workers in surrounding communities to interview for clinic purposes, it started pouring, so we turned around and headed down the mountain one last time.That completed the data collection for this round of SNA.

In Managua before our flight out, I typed up all the transcriptions of the interviews, recording who named who within each interview. I also worked with my team members on the transcriptions resulting from the community meetings during the last two weeks.

Now, back on campus, the focus has shifted from the results of the sub study to the potential of the piloted SNA protocol. I have begun to look back through prior MANOS research documents as well as a collection of articles stored in the team’s files detailing the use of social network analysis. I will be working through the material to understand how previous MANOS members have performed the SNA that supported the team’s decisions in the past.

Raining in Chaguite, Nicaragua

Raining in Chaguite, Nicaragua