Slow and Steady Wins the Race

These last five weeks seem like they have flown by. My research experience in professor Dickter’s lab has been very enlightening and very productive. I am almost done organizing the data that has been collected for our study on race and media. It is hard to believe that there are only 2 more weeks left for me to work in the lab. So far one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned that you have to be patient throughout the research process. Usually, depending on the nature of the project, you will not achieve the end goal in a of matter days. That is certainly the case for this project on race and media.

For the past five weeks I have been reading through responses to surveys and determining which responses were serious answers that can be analyzed and which responses were not serious and should not be used in the research. This has required a lot of patience and attention to detail. It has been very tempting to just skim through each response without paying attention to how the participants answer each question. If I were to get lazy on the job it could ultimately compromise the results of our project, and the credibility of the lab. Paying attention to detail is crucial to success. I’m currently entering data into a statistics program, so we should be able to analyze our data in the next couple of weeks. At that point it will be up to the computer to take care of the details, so my mind will get a much-needed break.

1. Adryan Flores says:

Hey Isaiah,
    I was wondering how you determined which answers were “serious”. Are there guidelines you follow or is it just a judgement call from your point of view. It seems to me that this choosing of which is serious or not serious may introduce bias into the research.