King Harman Road Hosptial

It was a Monday morning, and I received a call from my community partner. She notified me that she has arranged for me to visit a hospital and gather data. I was beyond ecstatic. The hospital was King Harman Road, and King Harman Road became the first hospital I visited in Sierra Leone. King Harman is a government run hospital. I walked into King Harman Road, and immediately I was shocked.  I knew Sierra Leone is a third world country, and the hospital conditions were going to be bad, but King Harman Road still shocked me. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the hospital was the heat. The heat was so powerful that within a minute of entering the hospital, I was soaked in sweat. The next thing I noticed was the hospital lights were on. I later found out that most government hospitals in Freetown have 24 hours light. As I walked through the patient wards, I saw fans in each ward but none of them were on. I wondered to myself why they were not on. I went through the wards, hoping at least one patient will want to talk to me but none wanted to talk to me.  I was also forbidden by the hospital to take any pictures.

After taking notes on the facility, I eventually ended up in a doctor’s office for an interview.  I interviewed a doctor and as I was asking him questions about the health care delivery system, I noticed how much cooler this room was than outside. While patients were out in the ward, drenched in their sweat, this doctor was sitting in a room with air condition. The doctor also had a TV in his office and he was watching a movie when I walked in. During my interview, many nurses came in to update the doctor on patients but he never left his seat. He just stayed in his chair and even when the situation sounded like an emergency, the doctor never left his seat. I also interviewed one nurse from King Harman Road.  To sum up the nurse’s interview, she basically stated that nurses do all the work, while the doctor never leaves his office unless someone is near death.