Final Summary: Nutrition Tracking

Though I will be continuing this project throughout the coming semester, I have summarized my research from my work in-country and explained how it has impacted  my data analysis strategy thus far.

1098457_946821175696_360589850_n

My extensive discussions with nutrition focal people in Uganda revealed the need for a subnational visualization of nutrition projects across Uganda, in line with the strategies and objectives outlined in the Uganda National Action Plan. According to the Office of the Prime Minister, this kind of data consolidation is necessary for informing policymaking and future nutrition investment distribution. AidData’s innovative geocoding methodology provides a clear and standardized visualization of location information, activity-level descriptions, and donor spending. Additionally, nutrition stakeholders have emphasized that future nutrition aid will not only go toward new projects, but to active projects as well. Information on the capacity of active nutrition projects to actually carry out the activities that AidData describes is crucial for informed decision making at the national level. 

In line with the nutrition aid tracking project undertaken by AidData and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), I will design a coding method that integrates activity-level coding with the Uganda National Action Plan. This will help to establish the baseline nutrition status of the country so that the Office of the Prime Minister and REACH canmove forward with allocating nutrition aid across the country.

Emily Mahoney

1. laleblanc says:

Hi Emily,

It is nice to read about an AidData colleague!

In what way will you integrate elements of Ugandan policy, such as the National Action Plan, into your coding methodology? Will you work in project evaluations into coding projects?