“Hello, my name is Zoe Trout, I’m a psychology student at William and Mary…”

Since my last post research has continued as it has been. I now have more experience soliciting participation over the phone than I ever thought I would, which it’s been an opportunity for me to grow.  Making phone calls to strangers at all, let alone asking for something, is far outside my comfort zone.  In the beginning, I followed a script exactly, hoping and praying for voicemails every time. I spoke with “live” parents about half the time and their attitude was a bit of a toss up; it’s amazing how many people have just had small surgery, gotten back from vacation, or just got home from work. Perhaps that frequency speaks to the busy urgency of American life.  Anyway, as I kept calling people I became more and more comfortable advertising the project and I grew to understand that negativity or annoyance wasn’t a reflection of me personally. This system has been effective (much more so than the school system recruitment) and different lab members have all been pitching in to collect data.  Though I’d considered having all the interviews completed by the start of the semester, it looks like data collection will run into the school year. At this point the process has become pretty streamlined and we’re just working to get as many participants as possible!