Coming to a Close

With classes now suddenly in full swing my research has come to a close, which is disappointing, because it felt as though the more I learned and the more leads I got the more I realized how little I knew and how much there was left for me to learn. I’ve been spending some more time on the sites Ms. Vestal pointed out to me- the HUDD research site as well as the Cooper Center. I have had some success looking at these sites, but not too much. Unfortunately, Williamsburg is such a small and relatively unpopulated area so there is not much data on it, and what I’m researching is such a specific subject so there really is not much to find. I did finally finish reading Where the Other Half Lives, edited by Sarah Glynn. Most of the focus was on housing in the United Kingdom, but some of what was said could be applied to the United States as well, so it proved to be somewhat beneficial. Another focus in the book was on how neoliberal policies have affected the housing crisis. This truly began in the 1970s, with the methodical destruction of subsidized public housing in the United States in order to promote “self-sufficiency” and reduce the amount of government involvement. The book did best in providing a timeline for monumental moments in the history of low-income housing, but not necessarily within the United States. Again, there is still so much left for me to learn, but with the fall semester here, it is sadly time for my research to come to a close.