A Brief Summary on My Low-Income Housing Research

Summarizing the weeks I spent on my research on low-income and public housing is not an easy task. To start, I should say it was nothing like I expected. Almost nothing worked out the way I anticipated. The professors I planned on partnering with were unavailable. The book I planned on reading got seriously back ordered. The information I thought would be available through databases and research was largely non-existent. I think that I could have been much more successful had I not been focused on the location of the Williamsburg area. This area isn’t very populated, and I think that most of the statistics developed within the town are focused on the College and on the tourism industry, rather than on poverty and the town’s status on housing. I think there is still an incredible amount for me to learn. If anything though, I have discovered how troublesome the housing crisis here is. I have learned of the difficult balance the town is forced to uphold. Between the College and the Colonial Williamsburg tourism industry, Williamsburg must maintain this image of perfection and a sense of utopia in order to keep money coming in. Without this, the service jobs these industries provide would be lost. Unfortunately it is the employees of the service industry that have so much trouble finding affordable housing. So if a public housing or low-income housing project was built in plain-view, it could hurt the tourism industry, and ultimately its inhabitants. Therefore the housing crisis here is not one that can easily be solved, but I think it would be beneficial if more of the aiding organizations and the city came together to help the problem. They would be much more effective if they worked together. I feel very lucky to have been granted the opportunity to do my research, and it has been such a great learning experience.

1. Gennie, thanks for sharing about this part of our college community. It is honestly something I know very little about, and I can see what a complex issue it is. Im glad you were able to realize so much through your research. I know it will be useful!