Winding Down Field-Work

The start of this summer’s research has been so busy because we do the bulk of the data collection in the field before July. So, while I’ve been establishing methods for plant tissue preservation and practicing with them, we’ve also spent time at Blandy Experimental Farms and this upcoming weekend we are headed to Presequile National Wildlife Refuge, for our last weekend of field-work. The most exciting part of getting ready for field work for Presquile is that it is an island so we have to anticipate all of our needs for both lodging and data collection, so the pressure is really on! I’m also kind of hoping to have some spare time to do a little bird watching because I bet it is amazing in the early morning. The flowers on the milkweed at our Yorktown site are starting to bloom, and it is really drawing the butterflies out which is so fun to look at when it starts to get really hot in the middle of the day and it may be easy to get distracted, so fingers crossed they are also blooming at Presquile. I’ll be checking back in with photos from the next research trip and some lab updates in a week or two!