Progress

I’ve created a regression for converting dbh to height and it’s working pretty well. One issue with it is that when I combine the data for young trees (which were measured in height) and bigger trees (which I converted), there is very little variance among the heights of larger trees; the conversion has served as a smoother of the data. This makes a regression for growth fit much more nicely, but unfortunately also creates an uneven distribution of residuals. I have attached a variance to the conversion to add some variance among its outputs, but there is still a skew in the residuals. I am currently looking into implications this may have.

[Read more…]

Treat the Cause, Not the Symptoms

So far I’ve spent the summer going through seemingly endless iterations of coding, looking at graphs, adjusting some numbers, looking at slightly different graphs… and so on. Finally this week I got my baseline and disease state models working correctly, and began to research treatment strategies! It was a relief to be able to look at something besides MATLAB code for a little while. So far I have added some known Parkinson’s treatments as well as an experimental Huntington’s disease treatment, an immunosuppressant, some anti-inflammatory drugs, an antidepressant, and an insulin sensitizer, all of which target destructive mechanisms in my model.

[Read more…]