Full Throttle

It is hard to believe that there are only three weeks left in the research session; it has gone by so fast and an incredible amount of research has been taking place. During the run of electrochemistry tests completed in the last month, my results have been surprisingly consistent. Both the acid addition test for catalytic activity and buffer test for performance in different pH measurements show interesting catalyst properties. However, the results are not quite perfect yet, which is what I have been working on. It is frustrating to get one data point that is slightly off, but I am hopeful the best is yet to come. In addition to my primary catalyst, a couple more catalysts have been added (up to six!) to the family, giving my partner and I much to do in terms of NMR and electrochemistry tests. These last few weeks are going to be filled with things to do, and I am looking forward to carrying out the work!

Probability Discounting: Choosing a Reward

Hey Everyone!

I hope your summer is going well.  A couple updates on how my research is progressing:

[Read more…]

Preparing to Head North

My model is progressing nicely. I’ve made a few alterations to fix things, and hit a few snags that need to be worked out. But the main thing I’ll be doing this week is preparing for the trip to Vermont and Maine. All the datasheets that we need to fill out need to be organized and include all sorts of data from previous years, such as what tree number is in which plot and how high or how wide each tree was. The trees need to be organized so we can walk the plots in order and not have to rustle through the sheets to find the right paper every time we reach a new plot. We also need to determine exactly what data we need to be collecting. There really is no limit to what we want, we are only limited by what we have time to collect! Departure is in less than a week, so I’ll be very busy.

A Survey of the Situation

Well, the time has come for yet another transition in the course of my research. In my last post, I noted some of the challenges I encountered when collecting contact information, particularly the disproportionate amount of New England contacts I recorded compared to other regions.

[Read more…]

X’s and O’s (…but actually, no O’s)

Towards the end of the school year, Professor Aday suggested that we code for potential or emerging DTRA elements as well as existing elements. Plans or ideas that have not been acted upon yet would fall under emerging DTRA elements. These potential elements will be denoted D’, T’, R’, and A’.

[Read more…]