X’s and O’s (…but actually, no O’s)

Towards the end of the school year, Professor Aday suggested that we code for potential or emerging DTRA elements as well as existing elements. Plans or ideas that have not been acted upon yet would fall under emerging DTRA elements. These potential elements will be denoted D’, T’, R’, and A’.

Existing: “They have a well” à R: utterance of a Resource that is currently available and of use

Emerging: “After the water has been collected, we will need a filter” àR’: states a Resource that is not currently present but will be required in the future

I again began with the plain version of a previously coded document. I pasted the transcription in the first column of the of spread sheet and then made sequential columns for D, T, R, A, D’, T’, R’, and A’. I called this non coded sheet the template. I then copied and pasted the template twice in two separate worksheets in the same Excel workbook. As I read through the conversation I marked an X in the column if I thought that an element of DTRA was expressed, I also highlighted the part in the dialogue that led me to that conclusion with one of four colors that I had assigned to each of the four elements (same four colors as demonstrated in my last blog!) Then in the second copy of the template, using the same format, I went through and filled in the code sheet according to the coding done by Professor Aday and Kristin. Using this approach I could more easily count the number of times an element was expressed as well as the total number of DTRA utterances simply by counting the Xs.