“There Are No Endings, Only New Beginnings”

This summer has been a great experience for me. Not only did I begin my own project in the lab, but I also gained an amazing amount of experience that many undergraduates are unable to experience before graduation. It’s surprising to reflect back to the days before I started the summer and see how much I’ve learned.

At the beginning of the summer, I only had a few treatment stages completed. Nothing was prepared for sectioning and nothing was analyzed. I will end the summer with preliminary data for the base experiment completed, with almost all of the treatment stages ready for the next step. I have done many In Situ’s, sectioned and DAPI stained over 80 embryos, and imaged 2 treatment sets. The amount of work done in these few weeks would take close to 2 semesters to complete during the school year. The fact that this amount of data has been collected is astounding.

I would like to thank the Cummings Memorial Fund for funding this amazing experience. Without their help, I would not be able to get this far in my research and learn so much in a few weeks. I would also like to thank the Cummings Memorial Fund for their initiative to add more diversity to STEM fields. So many girls, especially those of ethnic backgrounds, are denied the opportunity to study science and undergo research outside of the school year. With help from the Cummings Memorial Fund, I not only was able to further my own scientific journey, but also become an example to other African-American girls who are interested in research in biology.

Thankfully, these few weeks are not an end to my research career. This summer has made me even more excited to pursue a career in research biology and has exponentially increased my interest in vertebrate development. I am so excited to apply for graduate schools in the upcoming months in order to further my education to reach my goal as a full time research biologist.

1. aekelley says:

As a fellow female researcher, it’s always great to see other girls conducting research and making a name for themselves in their respective fields. I am so glad that this summer has yielded the data and experience you wanted. I look forward to following your progress throughout the school year. It is great to see also, that you wish to continue with a career in the field of biology research, though I am curious whether this summer has made you want to continue with the same sort of work you have done here, or if you want to move in a different direction eventually? Just curious, good luck with the rest of your research!