Another day, another test…

Time might be winding down, but there is still much to be done, so much so that late-night chemistry is now a thing. As usual, my last week comprised mostly of running electrochemistry tests on my primary complex, obtaining data that is frustratingly close to being publishable. I have solved the decomposition issue, but the major obstacle now is a poor connection between the electrode leads and the clips connecting the wires to the potentiostat. Sometimes, the instrument does not register that the electrodes are hooked up, resulting in a flatline CV of the reference electrode instead of a useful CV. Every time electricity runs through the complex after acid addition, it seems to decompose, meaning that after each experiment, I am left with only a couple of CV points rather than four or five due to the poor connection. Hopefully this becomes a less recurring theme because we cleaned the electrode leads on Friday, which should improve the connection. Work on the other ligand/complex pairs varies between crystallization attempts, synthesis of either the ligand or complex, or electrochemistry tests. Based on the early results of a few complexes, our paper topic might revolve around a different characteristic of the complexes than we previously thought, which is promising and exciting. This summer has been an enjoyable one, and hopefully what I acquire now I can apply in the future.