Research Done for the Summer of 2014

Hello All!

Once more, an insight into my research progress for the summer of 2014. For a brief reminder, I am working with Bisphenol A– a known endocrine disrupter that is a component of plastics such as plastic drinking water bottles. Why is this chemical so important to study? Because human exposure to BPA is thought to be ubiquitous: “Urinary, Circulating, and Tissue Biomonitoring Studies Indicate Widespread Exposure to Bisphenol A”- Vandenberg, et al. ; “Low concentrations of bisphenol a suppress thyroid hormone receptor transcription through a nongenomic mechanism”- Sheng, et al.

Now that we have a brief understanding of what BPA is, how do I work with BPA? In summary, in order to test BPA’s endocrine disrupting chemicals I expose human cells to BPA and examine them under a microscope to determine BPA’s effect. I conducted multiple trails at various concentrations of BPA this summer and I found that at  low concentrations, such as .000025 micromolar, BPA does not seem to have an effect on the cells viability;however, at  high concentrations such as .0025 micromolar, BPA visibly reduces the viability of cells and lowers their density.

Conducting my experiments for this summer was extremely fruitful and because of this I am one step closer in accumulating enough data to write a research article. My lab experience was wonderful, as my lab mates were all extremely helpful and were willing to give me a little advice and some tips on how to perform certain lab procedures.

Overall I had a great experience this summer and I’d like to acknowledge everyone who helped to make that possible.

Thank you!

1. castephens says:

I’m glad you had a positive experience with your research! I wanted to know if the concentration of BPA exposed to your cells is likely to be fond in an environment humans can come into contact with? What are some of the larger effects of inhibition of this thyroid receptor?

2. This is very interesting research. I once took a vacation to Sicily, and noticed that water bottles were ubiquitous; I felt that drinking water out of a water bottle was the only means of hydration for Sicilians. As with my other people, I usually use and reuse a plastic water bottle to hydrate, which leads me to my question, how toxic is the water that I drink? At my house, my family is quite weary of the threat of plastic, as we avoid washing plastic items in the dishwasher, as we were told that plastic particles can contaminate other items. I wonder how the body handles plastic particles, i.e. are the kidneys able to filter out these particles? Your research is of great importance, because as we start utilizing new materials, we often overlook the impacts of the materials to our own bodies. Additionally, the body is so complex that it takes a great amount of time and research to truly understand all of the effects that certain materials can have on our homeostasis.

3. Hi! Reading your blog this summer has been really informative! It’s great to get an easily comprehensible description of the significance of BPA in human health.