Wrapping Up

Ultimately, I developed a concept note for a nutrition tracking tool that is grounded in extensive interviews and feedback from implementing partners, policymakers (both in the US and Uganda), and researchers. This tool is going to be an interactive application where a broad range of stakeholders in the SUN movement can plan, coordinate, and monitor their nutrition activities across Uganda. This project is built around some core tenets: first, that behavior change is more complicated than just developing a tool or technology. The people who will actually be using the tool need to be engaged in the design and implementation of the tool, otherwise there’s no guarantee that (1) the tool addresses an existing and pressing need and (2) that the tool will have a sustainable impact.

I’ve learned so much from this experience and I’m very grateful to the Charles Center’s honors fellowship program (and all my sponsors) for providing me with the opportunity to explore a cause that I’m passionate about and to try to develop solutions to some of the most complex problems in development.

1. peter colwell says:

Sounds amazing, Emily. When you were conducting this year’s research, did you rely on connections you made last year with the ASF program? As a current fellow, I’m curious what the legacy of the first ASF tenure in Uganda was.

2. Justin DeShazor says:

Hey Emily! It was great to find and read through several of your blog posts. I am certainly interested in your ideas for closing development feedback loops. At Transparency International, their Action for Transparency program sought to do just that. I really liked the idea that the people who should be using whatever tools are created should be involved in their development. This certainly seems as though it would help ensure that the tool addresses the concerns of actors on the ground. I look forward to talking with you soon!