The Not So Sunshine State

Because of the nature of my project, I was able to go home to my family in Florida and set up a work station in my house rather than stay at school. I was so happy about this since I’d be able to see my family, enjoy the beach, and also get work done in the process. Florida is supposed to be a huge vacation state because of the sunshine and beaches, but this Summer tourists and residents did not see a whole lot of sunshine as it seemed to rain every day.

I enjoy the beach every once in a while, but I’m not a regular beach-goer, so you would think that the constant rain wouldn’t be a big deal. However, with rainstorms comes lightning and wind, both of which come together to mess with the electricity in all of the houses they come into contact with.

One of the most frustrating feelings is to spend hours doing work on a PC only for the power to flicker and all of that work is lost.

Most of my work is done on the computer that I built (go see my first blog post to read about that experience). I obviously play all of my video games on it, which is its main purpose, but I also edit and compress all of my game footage on the PC before I store it on my external hard drive. Having to replay a portion of a video game because of a power outage is a bit annoying, but not terrible. My motivation to get work done gets devastated when I have to redo editing that gets lost.

Editing for this project is one of the most boring and monotonous activities, only coming second to when I have to take notes on my actions and dialogue options from the first playthrough for the second playthrough. When I am editing, I am sifting through 20+ hours of footage, shaving off grinding through enemies and running form place to place until I have 10-12 hours of purely narrative and dialogue. It takes me a few days to get through all of the footage for one playthrough because there is so much content and it takes a very long time to compress all of it. It is a long and arduous process.

In Florida this Summer, it must have rained every single day for a month straight, and because of early experiences of losing hours of work due to power outages, I was hesitant to begin doing work when it was raining outside. I avoided doing work on my PC during these situations in favor of doing what work I could do on my laptop. I probably lost a lot of work time this Summer because of rainy Florida weather.

The sunshine state was not very sunny this Summer, and my research was directly affected by it. Who knew that weather would be a factor in how much work I got done on my video game research project?

1. Sara Suarez says:

Your project sounds really valuable although I don’t know too much about video games. Just wondering — in the games you’re playing, do male and female characters also differ in skills / abilities? Or are you just noticing the narrative differences? I’m curious to know how far-reaching the gender differences are in the experience of the game.

Best of luck with the footage culling and video editing — it sounds like a lot of hard work!

2. I think your project is really worthwhile. Have you seen the most recent Feminist Frequency videos on this subject? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPSrwedvsg&list=UU7Edgk9RxP7Fm7vjQ1d-cDA Also, where will these edited gameplay videos be posted?