It’s the beginning of the end…..of free lunches :(

Hello All,

I write to you from my station at the NAACP National Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada. First and foremost I would like to say that hell hath no fury like the Vegas heat. It is extremely hot here at all times. But besides that I am enjoying every minute of the convention and of my internship.

Being at the convention has allowed me to see an entire different side of the NAACP. Being at the National Convention, I am allowed to see the executive board of the NAACP. I also have gotten to meet  a lot of the members of the NAACP Board of Directors. When I met these people I thought of our class visit where we talked about what it takes to be a member of a board. I had a conversation with one of the members of the board and I was blown away by his story. He just graduated from Hampton University last year and was confirmed as a member of the board after years of service to the NAACP. He let me know that no matter your age, you can make a huge impact on the world if you try.

As the end of my internship approaches, I look back at all of the things I have learned, all of the people I have met, and I can honestly say that this has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Because of my internship, I have inside knowledge on what it takes to be successful in the world of civil rights and I have learned that when you are passionate about something, you let the passion shine through in everything you do. I am motivated now more than ever to do great things and to be great because I know that I will be successful.

This summer has really allowed me to realize what is important to me. This past week, I lost my uncle. I was pretty close to him and it was a complete shock that he had died.  But the one thing that hurt  me more than anything else was the fact that I couldn’t be with my family when they needed me most. I have always had a dream of working in politics in Washington D.C. and I have realized that I am capable of doing that. But I never want to experience the feeling of helplessness and loneliness I felt because I couldn’t be with my family. No matter what the future holds for me, I know that being close to my family is a necessity.

All in all, I am sad to see this summer come to a close. But I know that all of things that I have learned, will be used again in my future career and I am pretty happy and satisfied with knowing that. Even though the fact that I won’t be receiving any more free lunches still hurts a lot 🙂