Data Collection in Chaguite: Part 2

The second key component of data collection to answer the research question:  How does the presence of natural resources in a community affect interpersonal relationships for those nearest or farthest from the resource? We managed to reach most of the houses in Chaguite, performing over 30 interviews about the community’s infrastructure and communication networks. Time spent at each household ranged from 11 to 30+ minutes, with some interviewees giving elaborate responses regarding ongoing projects, concerns, or personal experiences. Some respondents were easier to understand than others, and some had more trouble understanding my Spanish than others. There were a few who didn’t really want to “play ball,” aka they didn’t provide responses to the interview questions. I guess I had anticipated a little of that, but it still caught  me by surprise. On another note, by the end of the interviewing, I no longer had to look at the protocol and could recite the entire preamble from memory! That helped the flow of the interview seem more natural and less intimidating to the respondents.

Our primary interview question was, “Who in Chaguite helps to organize efforts that benefit community residents?” Followed by qualifiers (these are just a few prompts): How often do you meet with this person? What do you talk about specifically? Where do you talk to this person? We used targeted questions in order to form a better understanding of the leadership and communication structure. These questions are an attempt to extract data on the communication networks in Chaguite. I will use this data in conjunction with data on the distribution of resources to try to answer my guiding research question. Paired with GIS data, I should be able map out resources along with social interactions gleaned from the “Where do you talk to this person?” prompt.