Data Collection in Chaguite: Part 1

My time in Chaguite was mostly spent conducting interviews at each household. As always, the paths between houses were long and seemed to be uphill in every direction. Along with the MANOS members that I traveled with, I also managed to pull off a meeting with Chaguite’s Water Committee, despite our lack of native Spanish speakers (this is the first trip where we have never had one present). The meeting was brief; we summarized MANOS’s research goals and processes for this trip, asked about any progress with the Engineers Without Borders (EWB) water access project, and left the floor open for any questions or concerns. Direct contact between EWB and community members appears limited, but the attitude towards the project is overwhelmingly positive.

Mapping Community Resources. I finally finished up data collection for her research on the distribution, quality, and usage of water resources (wells, cisterns, creeks, and latrines) in Chaguite. This entailed traveling to about 10 additional houses to ask about their specific level of access. GPS points were taken at each resource named by the household. Upon returning to campus, I will be using ArcMap to construct a comprehensive map of community resources to analyze patterns of access and usage across Chaguite.  Before my next trip to Chaguite, I hope to have created a tangible product (map, report, etc.) to return to community members.