Mountains Beyond Mountains: Data Analysis

Back on campus, the mountain of data analysis that has to be done continues to grow. Between the water resource interviews and social network analysis data, I’ve spent over 24 hours just trying to transcribe the remaining interviews and code the responses in a logical fashion. The codebook is in its early stages, but it is off to a good start. Now to teach myself SPSS and UciNet (SNA software), and a little bit of GIS…

—– *passage of time*

GIS. I have managed, at last, to get all of the data points into ArcMap. For now. Because I’m using a computer without a huge hard-drive, I’m having some trouble importing altitude data for the region. I’m also struggling with joining excel data to points within excel. Perhaps the next step should be consolidating all excel data into one sheet, then join that to the x,y coordinates of each resource, household, and social interaction.

SPSS. Not there yet!

SNA. After much experimentation, I have more or less figured out how to use UciNet to analyze the responses from our social network analysis interviews. The first step was to create a matrix with the names of the respondents + those named going on both the x and y axis. The interview questions that generated names were then coded in binary within the matrix. For example: A named B, but B didn’t name A, he/she named C, and C named A

A        B         C

A       0         1          0

B       0         0          1

C       1         0          0

And so on and so forth. That matrix is then entered into UciNet, which can run various tests on the data, such as network density, cohesion, or average degree. You can also visualize the social network through one of its programs, Netdraw. More to come on data results and next steps!

Example of a social network in Chaguite using Netdraw