Coding: The First Attempt

While meeting with the only other member of the team besides Professor Aday with any DTRA experience, Diya Uthappa, it became clear that the biggest obstacle we need to overcome in order to be able to code a large amount of DTRA is standardizing our practices. The goal of this summer has just become figuring out how to code so that no matter who is doing it, the results are pretty similar, or at the very least between Diya and I if one of us is coding it will likely be similar to the other.

Hopefully by the end of the summer if we can make our coding as specific as possible, we will be able to assign one transcription each week to the team to code and eventually make slow progress over time so that we can see our progress. In addition, if more people read each transcription it will be easier for new members of MANOS to learn about its history and it will ensure that we catch every example of DTRA as a group, rather than leaving it to one person in case they miss something.

When I first embarked on this project I assumed it would be about actually coding as much data as possible to begin to draw conclusions, but it seems that the best approach is not what I expected, but rather to make sure our methodology is hammered out before we code transcriptions incorrectly.