Ducks in Progress

Another week is done! For the past week and a half I have been working on preliminary research for an upcoming exhibition on Duck Decoys. That’s right– duck decoys. I will admit that when Laura first told me this was a small exhibition the DeWitt Wallace was working on I chuckled, how could these hunting tools be considered folk art? It wasn’t until I really dug into my research that I realized just how extensive and vast the field of duck decoys was.

This project has definitely taken me the longest to complete because I had to rummage through over 60 folders on duck decoys that Colonial Williamsburg currently owns. Of these decoys, I picked out which ones A) were especially aesthetically pleasing and B) which ducks had an interesting backstory or notable artist.  In the end, I narrowed the ducks down to 25 who I believe would be excellent objects for the upcoming exhibit and created a detailed powerpoint, summary of each object, and lists of different ways to categorize the ducks for the exhibit. Below are a couple pictures of my favorite decoys!

Herman Glick's Snow Goose  Decoy

Herman Glick’s Snow Goose Decoy

Flying Yellowlegs Decoy

Flying Yellowlegs Decoy

Mallard Hen Decoy

Mallard Hen Decoy