Conclusion

The past seven weeks have been extremely productive and interesting.  I had no idea how quick the seven weeks would go, how I would hone my skills to be a productive member of the lab, and how I would make a dent in the project that I have been working on since January.  While my project is fickle, and the seven weeks flew by, I feel that I have learned extremely valuable and practical lab experience for my time left as an undergraduate and beyond.  Practical chemical knowledge is essential to being a chemist; drawing mechanisms in organic chemistry class is not the same as performing the reaction yourself.  I made mistakes this summer, there were ups and downs to my research, and I found out what it feels like to work full time.  I also had success in my project, had liquid nitrogen ice cream with the entire chemistry department, and enjoyed lab bonding activities.  I am excited to start the school year with more practical experience under my belt, but I am also excited to keep improving, and to keep learning, and to keep making mistakes, so that I can grow as a person and as a chemist.

Week 7: Quenching Experiments

During this last week of research funded by the Charles Center, I have been attempting to hone my accuracy regarding the aforementioned quenching experiments.  During the first part of the week, I performed triethylamine additions to a fluorescein solution in order to replicate the baseline experiment done in a previous paper.  I succeeded; I created a Stern-Volmer plot from the fluorimeter’s data, which plots relative intensity versus catalyst (or, in this case, triethylamine) concentration times a constant.  This plot had the same quenching constant, the slope of the linear fit of the data points, as found by previous lab mates.  Later in the week, I have been trying to master catalyst additions, which have proven to be more difficult. The quenching constant can give us insight into the quenching pathway of the system, which is why I will keep working to verify the findings by other lab mates.  This will give us insight into the physical properties of the system.  While I am finished with my Charles Center research, I am continuing to work on these quenching experiments and other aspects to my initial project over the next three weeks.  Other than quenching, I set up more crystallizations for Monday, hoping to grow some illusive crystals that have been difficult to grow all summer.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly- A Western Blot special

My last post mentioned my successes in TR alpha GFP trapping but unfortunately this good fortune has come to an end. I have been having trouble with TR beta and standard eGFP. So far the IPO7 antibody shows an interaction with TR beta, but a GFP and IPO7 interaction seems to exist, which is not supposed to happen.

[Read more…]

Woody Internship at the Phillips Collection: Week 9 in Review

An advertisement for Edith Halpert’s galleries

 

[Read more…]