Park Rx Weeks 6-9

As a part of our project, we have been developing a on-campus greenspace map for William & Mary. In its final form, it will consist of a map of the college property, with all the outdoor areas highlighted and equipped with descriptions to encourage student use of these spaces. Over the past few weeks, I have been helping add to these descriptions. I have spent time walking around campus, taking pictures of different outdoor spaces, and uploading those pictures onto the map, as well as adding and editing descriptions of these spaces. I also spent a considerable amount of time walking a variety of trails near the campus, in order to map them, take pictures of them, and update their descriptions on the greenspace map.

We also have been working, as a lab, on a public presentation to be given this following week to a group of professors on campus in order to spread the word about our project. We have spent time making and editing this presentation, as well as practicing as a group.

We also went out as a lab to take pictures and videos of our lab group n various greenspaces in order to use in our promotional video, done by our media specialist Robert.

1. Rachel Reeb says:

This summer has been the first time I’ve ever spent a consistent amount of time in the College Woods (as part of my ecology lab) and I can attest to the number of beautiful trails throughout the entire area. It’s exciting to hear about this outreach program. I think that it can seem difficult at times to find natural areas on campus to exercise or relax, and having a single source documenting all of these spaces will be a big help.