Robert Boyd: Fourth Post

In total I have created three videos for the parks research lab. In the first video, two park researchers play the roles of a patient and a doctor prescribing a park. I did not shoot the footage myself, but I was responsible for editing all of the footage together. It took a significant amount of time, because I had to match together clips of the doctor and patient talking from three seperate angles while making sure to keep the sound of the two actors speaking lined up almost perfectly with the lip movements of the actors in all three videos.

Doctor Patient Roleplay:

I captured most of the footage for the second and third video I made, though I used a few copyright free images from the creative commons, as well as some night timelapse footage from fellow student photographer rico xi. I also recorded and added in the voice overs for both of the videos.

The second video covers how the park prescription (park rx) program works, describing the positive effects that a park prescription can have on individuals suffering from mental or physical illness. The narration of the video is a word for word reading of the text under the “What is Park Rx” tab on our lab’s public website (www.gwaparkrx.com). A majority of the footage I gathered consists of individuals using park spaces around the William and Mary campus. Upon the request of my Professor, Dorothy Ibes, I also ended up reshooting the park prescription process, acted out by two members of the Park Rx lab.

Park Rx:

The final video was created as a parody of a pharmaceutical commercial, with the enthusiastic promotion of a product along with the jarringly out of place disclaimer section. Fellow lab member Hannah Kwawu created the script for the commercial, with other lab members and Professor Dorothy Ibes making edits. Then I recorded the narration for the video, and added royalty free music to play in the background. The video clips I added to the video consisted primarily of:

1) fellow park lab members using park spaces in a fun, yet overtly comedic manner.
2) a large variety of wildlife I recorded in the Williamsburg area.

Commercial:

I have done multiple iterations of each of these videos, replacing footage, making transitions between clips smoother, and even going so far as to re-record a voice over that needed some improvement. One very important lesson I learned was to keep all of my editing for a specific video in one place. I edited my videos on multiple computers, exporting one iteration of a video from editing software on one computer to work on another computer if the first computer was not available. This ended up creating a variety of problems, and I ended up spending the final week of my internship tracking down and consolidating all of the various editing projects I had made, into three master editing projects, one of each being dedicated to one of the three videos. This process, though tedious, was important because it makes it easier for future park researchers to access these projects and refine these videos further.

Overall, I enjoyed working with the Park Rx lab, and I hope that my videos help to show others the potential benefits of park prescriptions.