Artist’s Dye Fading Part 4: July 26th – August 5th

The last part of my summer was mostly spent (summer)izing (lol) data from this summer. I will not be able to do research in the fall because I am studying abroad so I have to leave all of my summer findings in a state that allows my school year coworkers to pick up where I left off. Despite this, a few interesting findings were uncovered. Firstly I found that the fluorescence output of the dye purpurin noticeably degrades with consecutive scans in the fluorimeter. This could be useful in future work because it gives us an easy way to investigate the rate constant for the degradation of purpurin lake given that we know the power of the laser used in the fluorimeter. Knowing this rate constant will help us by filling in some of the blanks about the kinetics of this dye that cant be accurately extracted through our single molecule experiments. We also found that in terms of excitation wavelength dependent emission, Purpurin lake behaves more like alizarin than purpurin. This is significant because it not only supports the single molecule blinking data and excitation scan data (where purpurin behaves differently than purpurin lake and alizarin) but also because it support the hypothesis that alizarin and purpurin lake undergo excited state intramolecular proton transfer while purpurin does not.