The Struggles of Translation and Summary

After having written my article, I began a translation and little did I know that speaking another language doesn’t always mean translation will be an easy task. To go from English to French, I opened up the article and a separate blank word document next to it. I translated paragraph by paragraph and immediately began to regret this decision. Although it worked out in the end, such a structural and artificial approach took away from translating ideas! There are a few sentences that could have been expressed better in French had I decided to write new sentences in said language instead of translating.

I was very happy with my translations of the French poetry to English. I tried to be conscious of everything from syntax, imagery, connotations, verb tenses, rhyme, and rhythm. After having a family friend read them, she said she was amazed at how I kept the “spirit” of the poems in my translations. No other words could have been so reaffirming.

Needless to say, my research this summer was an unbelievable experience. I feel so blessed and fortunate to have been able to be a voice for Lebanese francophone literature. I think the main takeaway was remembering how every individual is constantly changing and is defined by more than his or her affiliations. Lebanese francophone literary production really gets at the heart of this statement; the Lebanese don’t subscribe to one description! It is having diversity and varied experiences that makes a Lebanese man or woman.