A dreary reality.

Monotony.

I’m fairly certain I’ve made a post about the subject every summer I’ve been here.

Monotony is the dreary reality of science that no one likes to address.  I work with viruses.  I work with water.  I work with soil.  To study all of these things I have to produce viral concentrates on the regular.  This is inevitable.  This is what I do.

Last summer I collected water samples with viruses in them and froze them.

This school year I thawed a few of them and made viral concentrates that I will use later for RAPD analysis.

This summer I have to thaw all of them and make viral concentrates so that I can actually, finally, run RAPD analysis.

Every day I thaw, filter, ultracentrifuge, dump, resuspend, and store my viral concentrates.

And then repeat.

Thaw, filter, ultracentrifuge, dump, resuspend, store, repeat.

This is my life now.

As a scientist, I know that this monotony serves a greater purpose.  I know that my incredibly large data set serves only to improve the quality of the data I collect.  I know that this is necessary, important, valuable work.

BUT IT’S SO DULL.

However, in the interest of honesty and optimism, I will say that while my samples are in the ultracentrifuge I have taken the opportunity to read a series of zombie books that while trashy has been incredibly entertaining.  So, there’s that.

1. Nathaniel says:

I agree completely. Hopefully the end result makes it worth it… hopefully.

2. Congrats on writing a non-boring post about boredom!

Also: “series of zombie books” refers to a book series devoted to zombies, or simply multiple zombie books?

3. I definitely know what you mean. Lab work can take a ridiculous amount of time to yield results, so I’ve found it helps to envision the end goal and the good that could come from it. That being said, distraction can help too. I took to watching Game of Thrones